With a Bachelor of Fine Arts in the Honors program at Virginia Tech also majoring in political science and philosophy Katy Shepard wishes to pursue a career in non-profit organizations’ promotion of international human rights through the use of mass media and community arts. It is her belief that the arts are a fundamental outlet for honesty with one’s self and others about not only the necessities of life, but also what can lead to happiness. Shepard has also previously studied at the Virginia Tech Center for European Studies and Architecture located in Riva San Vitale, Switzerland as part of the Honors Presidential Global Scholars program in the spring of 2013 as well as partaking in Korea University’s International Summer Campus program in 2012. These experiences have allowed her to study art and culture from around the world.
Research & Community Works
Previously Shepard has worked on research on the Developmental Stages of the Child Artist with head of VT Perspective Gallery Robin Boucher. She has worked on numerous independent art studies with Professor Emeritus Robert Graham revolving around international gender issues.
Shepard is the president and founder of the Light Up a Life service organization at Virginia Tech which pursues the phrase “Kids, Creativity, & Community.” Through this organization Shepard was able to organize and develop the show “Once Upon a Time,” shown in the Perspective Gallery in the spring of 2012, which featured the future self-portraits of students kindergarten through 12th grade.
In Stafford County Shepard has taught private art lessons for numerous years. Students have gone on to win numerous awards at Dorothy Hart Children’s Art Show, CRRL Teen Art Show, and the State Fair of Virginia.
Awards: Show and Exhibition History
- Fredericksburg Center for the Creative Arts (FCCA) Members' Gallery Show--Katy Shepard and Dave Bellard January 2015
- 2015 Summer Residential Governor's School Visual Arts regional level juror November 2014
- FCCA November 2014 National Juried Show: Primary Colors (juried by Vaughn Whitney Garland) one piece
- The Artists' Cradle Young Artists' Exhibition Curator November 14th-16th 2014
- Where We LIV Stafford, VA Featured Artist November 9th 2014
- FCCA October 2014 Regional Exhibition (juried by David R. White) two pieces, one Honorable Mention
- Fredericksburg Via Colori participating artist September 2014
- Where We LIV Stafford, VA Featured Artist September 20th 2014
- FCCA September 2014 National Juried Show: The Human Factor (juried by Joey Manlapaz)
- XYZ Gallery Solo Show Blacksburg, VA May 2014
- Moss Center Group Show Blacksburg, VA May 2014
- Professional Artists & Artisans of Stafford County Group Show September 2013
- Simply Beautiful Spaces Group Show September 2013
- Perspective Gallery Blacksburg, VA "Once Upon a Time"
- Children's Show Curator May 2012
- Perspective Gallery Group Show December 2010
- Central Rappahannock Regional Library (CRRL) Solo Show December 2010
- CRRL Teen Art Show Spring 2010 Best of Show
- CRRL Solo Show December 2008
- CRRL Teen Art Show Spring 2008 Best of Show
- VA State Fair Fall 2008-2010 over 30 awards and scholarships.
source:Katy Shepard Facebook